|Miasto i Gmina Pniewy||
|Town » Monuments
There are few monuments in Pniewy. This is due to those times ago when timber was mostly wood, clay and straw, to a lesser extent stone and brick. Pniewy (in the Middle Ages) was a town made of wood. The architectural development did not endure time nor fires that had been frequently breaking out.
However, the city set-up kept its original spindle shaped character. In the center there is the Market Place and XIX and XXth century houses clustered along three sides of the square. The fourth side constitutes a frontage enclosed by the parish church of St-Laurent.
This catholic temple was built in the XVth century in late Gothic style in the place where a wooden church once had been.
On the main altar there is a fair-sized painting “The Martyrdom of Saint Laurent” by Peter Paul Rubens painted in the XVIII century.
The stone wall surrounding the church courtyard has a tripartite gate-belfry in late baroque style of the end of XVIII century.
Farther on, in the
In the first half of the XIXth century there arouse a need to provide service to the mail delivered by stagecoach between
The city park and a late baroque palace housing the High School are located in the southern part of the town. A landscape park stretches on a
The palace was built in 1745. It was remodeled in 1872 by the Massenbach family. This is a few storey structure, covered with a saddle roof, with a marked projection on the symmetry axis of the façade.
In front of the palest there are two big yew-trees.
Near the Market Place there is the Memorial of Gratefulness erected in 1983 and designed by a sculptor Jerzy Sobociński, a native of Pniewy.
On the outskirts of the city, nearby the north-southern part there is the Mother Home of the Ursulan Sisters of the Heart of Jesus in Agony. This is where the sarcophagus of Saint Ursula Ledóchowska is buried in a crypt. Since 1937 she has been the honorary citizen of the city and founded the Convent of the Order of Ursula Ledóchowska. Relics of Mother Ursula were brought from
An interesting item of Pniewy is a carriage-house nearby. Actually, a coach inn. It contains a rare and extraordinary exhibition of horse carriages and coaches, either refurbished or brand new ones by a renowned carriage maker Michał Bogajewicz company here. Buggies, carioles were shown in many historical and costume drama films worldwide, can also be seen in museums, are driven in ranking contests for stage drivers. These carriages are made for hobbyists of this beautiful and out-of-the-ordinary sports branch.
An additional asset for tourists is the